I have an announcement to make.
A new puppy!!
Her name is Heidi and she is a miniature schnauzer puppy, shortly to be arriving in the Cussens household. Do we need a new puppy? My long-suffering husband (who prefers planes, cars and boats to anything with a tail) would say ‘probably not’.
My son, missing our gorgeous blue roan cocker spaniel (who was recently re-homed under sad circumstances) would say ‘probably’
But my ten year old daughter, watching from the sidelines while I attempt agility and obedience with the brown bolt of lightning which is a working cocker – and desperate to have a go herself with a new puppy a little more manageable says a loud and emphatic ‘yes’
And as I’m with her anyway and daughters with sparkly blue eyes have a certain persuasion with their daddies…
… the search for a new puppy began.
First we had to decide on a breed. Lots to consider there, and every family will have different things to think about. For us:
- It has to be small – we haven’t space or money for a big dog
- It has to not be a ‘yappy breed’ – husband’s stipulation
- It has to be photogenic – I am a photographer
- It has to be able to do agility – my daughter’s main goal
- It has to be reasonably trainable – could be open to discussion but some breeds are more easily trained than others.
- It has to be a reasonably healthy breed – some breeds are notoriously at the vets more than others